Sunday, February 5, 2006


"I mistrust all frank and simple people, especially when their stories hold together."

That's what Ernest Hemingway told me, when I was sort of reading some book of his in the library. I wasn't really reading it. I just like to read the first line or page of a book. A teacher of mine always says that the first line of a book usually sums up the whole story. So, why read the rest? That takes soooo long, plus I have a headache.

Marshall McLuhan said that he would only read every other page of a book, and then if those pages were interesting he'd go back and read the rest. I don't think he actually did that, because he was the sort of thinker who would make things up to prove a point. I guess the point is that you don't have labour over the details to understand a thing. I could say how this affects my study habits, but that would incriminate me.

I try to be a frank and simple person, but I think Ernest (we're on a first name basis) would still trust me, because my story doesn't hold together.

Btw, I deleted the rambling version of this post twice, but it kept undeleting itself. So now I am just reposting it as a new post, without the rambling. Blogger has been effed-up lately.

4 Comments:

Blogger DJH said...

Dasha said...
Did you know that he (Hemingway) was in TWO plane crashes, and as a result had brain injuries and as a result was a manic depressive and as a result committed suicide.

word.

11:13 PM


Axel said...
I mean it's not like Ernie was frank and blunt at all....we do know that he was very labour intensive with flowery language that makes a botanical garden look like a window plant.....I don't think Ernie would have trusted me.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 5:12:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Yeah, with a shotgun. He didn't play around. Also, his dad, sister, brother, and grandaughter commited suicide. :(

Sunday, February 05, 2006 5:19:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Zigmund Palffy? That baby growing out of your chest?

Monday, February 06, 2006 5:16:00 p.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

babies grow?
dave your blog has struck again and
my mind is blown.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 8:12:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home