Thursday, March 9, 2006


I'm not Chuck. I've just been busy. This week has been pretty good. I did a 42 minute presentation at school on a novel called Foe, by JM Coetzee. I have a webcourse in which 40% of the mark comes from posting about our 7-8 novels in a forum. Last week I posted so much that the teacher made a new rule that individual posts had to be limited to one paragraph. Sometimes I forget about that whole quality>quantity thing. I get carried away and fall asleep in front of my computer. Then the next day I have to walk around with a keyboard-shaped imprint on my face.

On Tuesday I got a 4-box package of chocolate in the mail from my friend in Germany. Apparently Kinder is retiring the iconic young boy's face which has been a fixture on their box for 30 years. This spun said friend into a pop-cultural existential crisis, the result of which was that she bought boxes of chocolate en masse. I think she sent some to me because she knows that I'm comfortable with the psychological bonds that we form with the marketing figures of our childhoods, German or otherwise. It's like what Barthes says about Einstein's brain. Or something.

Yesterday I watched Fawlty Towers with Rock and her Dad. It's one of those cult shows that I've always meant to watch but never really have. It's really funny. I love the British. I think I have a dormant British comedy gene. Can genes be dormant? If not, imagine the correct biology terms in place of those ones. I'm also happy about the moves the Canucks made at a trade deadline. I'm a little disappointed that our new Finnish goalie (Mika Noronen) doesn't have any double vowels in his name, like Miikka Kiprusoff or Antero Niitymaki. Oh well, name spelling only accounts for about 4-8% of a goalie's skill anyway.

14 Comments:

Blogger Axel said...

You're not chuck Hahahahahahahaha...priceless

Thursday, March 09, 2006 4:26:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

No offense to Chuck. Anything he lacks in consistency is more than made up for by his mutant-like powers of lankiness.
/envy

Thursday, March 09, 2006 4:35:00 p.m.  
Blogger denielle said...

Foe is my favorite faves of all novels. what did you have to say abt it in 42 min? did you love it? lots of pple think it's massively boring... but i've read it like three times.

Friday, March 10, 2006 8:21:00 a.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

I mostly talked about the monkeys. There might also have been something about authorial voice and ownership of stories. People who think it's boring weren't paying attention when they read it (which is a less pretentious way of saying that they didn't get it). Is qualified pretention more pretentious than ordinary pretention? Help!

Friday, March 10, 2006 11:51:00 a.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

you're not chuck?
WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?

I am like sooo confused.

Friday, March 10, 2006 2:12:00 p.m.  
Blogger denielle said...

qualified and unqualified pretention are equally pretentious, just not equally savvy. i think there should be seperate words to make that crucial distinction. i'm not very good at making up new words tho, so i'm not the person for the job.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 4:19:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

I hate words. What good are they anyway?

Monday, March 13, 2006 7:56:00 a.m.  
Blogger Chuck said...

What do you mean "which one is the real Chuck?" Why do you have a gun?! Everyone loves sandwiches!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 6:42:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Divad. quest-ce que c'est ton addresse? Pou que je peut t'envoyer du chocolat

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 4:38:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Im moving soon K, so I will be No Fixed Address for a while. Also, the first rule of sending chocolate in the mail is that it has to be a surprise. Or maybe the first rule is no anthrax. Oh well, they're both important. Thanks for the thought though.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 10:07:00 p.m.  
Blogger denielle said...

17! apparently, in the long absence of new dave posts this has become the longest running commentary EVER! let's have it dave. why don't you tell us about coleridge's opium induced dream sequences? or you could do an analysis of mkinley's hair-cut, say compared to... darth vader's helmut?

Thursday, March 16, 2006 7:23:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will be at your house tommorrow with beer. CREEPY TIME~!!~~~!~~~~@@@!#@$

Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:27:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not just any beer, Australian beer with kangaroos on the label. Kangaroos! And it's in a green bottle! Green! Happy St Patty's day!

Friday, March 17, 2006 9:09:00 a.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Kangaroo Beer? But that will tarnish the image of sophistication which I have so diligently cultivated (see photo).

Friday, March 17, 2006 4:25:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home