Monday, April 24, 2006

I've been watching a lot of Monty Python lately. I like that skit that is a talk show about trees and various wood related things, like a block of wood and a bucket of sawdust. I'm happy to have a class with a British professor starting in 1 week. I think the British are the funniest people. Roxanne and I have agreed John Cleese will make a good godfather.

Last Monday we had an indoor Easter egg hunt. By "we" I mean 5 people aged 19-27. I got a package of Caramilk bunnies, which are just like Caramilk squares, but bigger and shaped like bunnies (in case you didn't catch that from their name). I know Mikara did, because she has professed her Caramilk love before. You should start a cult Mikara: Caramilkology. You could call yourself the Grand Caramilkara. I'd join, as long as there was free Caramilk.

On Sunday we saw Danya as they were passing through. By the way, Danya = Dann & Tanya. It's like one of those celebrity name-combining things; you know, like Bennifer or TomKat, but with less Scientology. In fact, I am pretty sure Danya are not Scientologists at all. Although Dann has memorized all of John Travolta's dance scenes from Saturday Night Fever. Fortunately (and surprisingly) he didn't have any of his polyester jumpsuits with him, so we played board games in their hotel room. That's not a euphemism; we really did play board games.

My enjoyment of board games is inordinate (except Yahtzee, which is stupid). I think this is because boardgames (like many things) are self-contained worlds where good, bad, victory, and defeat are all clearly defined. As opposed to the real world, which is big and confusing, where good seems contingent, victory is ambivalent, reference points keep floating, and I can't even spell axium. I'm on a 3 game winning streak for crib right now, which is probably a personal record; I'm not very good at crib. Once when I was in Quebec I played crib against a lady named Lucille, whom I think was my Great Aunt's sister-in-law (I don't know what that makes her to me). Anyway, the point is that she was really old, so I thought I win easily. I thought it would be like taking canding from a very old baby. But it wasn't. Oh how very wasn't it was. Lucille rocked my cribbage world like nobody's business, and that was not the bee's knees in any way, shape, or form. The moral of the story is: old people will rock you at crib.

I had my last exam on Thursday. The exam was on Romantic literature, so I studied hockey statistics. After some fairly liberal reading between the lines, I gambled that the professor would suddenly decide to change the subject of the exam to hockey. He didn't. Oh well, at least I'll do better in the pool; that's all that really matters. Plus I think Zdeno Chara was a Poet Laureate at some point anyway. I have Detroit and Ottawa penciled in for the finals, with Calgary and either New Jersey or Carolina as the other conference finalists. It's really hard to say though. I won't remind anyone how poor my olympic predictions were.

9 Comments:

Blogger Samuel said...

I'm disapointed in you puting your vote against the Habs for the conference finals. The will most definitly get rid of Carolina in first round and unfortunalty of the Sens as well in second.

Monday, April 24, 2006 12:36:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

I would prefer for the Habs to beat Carolina. And based on game 1, maybe they will be able to. I thought CAR would have a better chance because of their good home record, and because of their many veterans, and because they were 4-0 against the Habs this year. Of course, none of those wins had Huet in net, so maybe it means nothing.

Monday, April 24, 2006 1:17:00 p.m.  
Blogger Axel said...

I really like it when uber-nerds quote "Monty Python" and screw it up and don't say any of the lines right.

Monday, April 24, 2006 5:14:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If John Cleese isn't available, i think Eric Idle would be a pretty good replacement.... although i bet he isn't as good at goose-sttepping as John.... those long legs just put him over the top.

Monday, April 24, 2006 9:12:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just for clarification . Lucille is also your great aunt, tho many would say there is no aunt as great as Aunt Mary . When they were younger and both were alive ( and you weren't ) there were many friday nights spent in scrabble matches between your great aunt Lucille and your grandmother Jean .
Personally i would be happy with either of the canadian teams being in the eastern and western final and even happier with two of them in the final .

dad

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 11:26:00 a.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

What?! She's my Great Aunt? Nobody ever tells me anything until.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 1:39:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Yeah, it is pretty hilarious. There should be a MarioParty minigame that involves fish slapping (again, not a euphemism).

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 5:06:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jersey and San Hose.
:D

Friday, April 28, 2006 9:12:00 p.m.  
Blogger denielle said...

i love yahtzee (and that is not a euphemism
it's my day off and i'm hooked up with some electricity and internet so i thot i'd drop you a hey-hello. pass it on to rox too. hope you are having a good summer! tho it sounds like you're taking classes. crazy dave. classes are for the unsunny months.

Saturday, April 29, 2006 11:16:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home