Thursday, May 25, 2006


Yesterday was kind of funny. I had a psych midterm, which was fine. Afterwards I spent 5-10 minutes in a friendly debate with the teacher about the wording of one of the 70 multiple-choice questions. There were two correct answers for it, technically (says my bias), but he thought there was only one. So we had to agree to disagree. Actually, he agreed to disagree and I disagreed about agreeing to disagree. Most teachers actually like to be argued with, you know. It shows that the student was paying attention (too much, perhaps). Dr. Wong even told me the technical, psychological name for over-thinking instructions (i.e., for what is wrong with me). For those of you fortunate enough not to interact with me in school-world, I’m a wee bit of a hairsplitter (read: annoying). I am fine with this though; it’s easier to be the annoyer than the annoyee.

I had the same problem during the second midterm I wrote, even though it was a 3-essay English exam, rather than multiple-choice. In this case, I was actually supposed to wrangle with the wording of the question; Dr. Rans intentionally used controversial language in his question to throw a postmodern monkey wrench (which is much heavier than a normal monkey wrench) into the works. So, that was fine, except I spent 5 pages writing about why I couldn’t answer the question, and only 1 page answering it. I also spent 1.5 of the 2.5 hours on one third of the exam. Time management is not my forte. I need a person with a cattle prod to attend exams with me: “Bzzzt! Keep writing. You don’t have as much time left as you think. Bzzzt! Bzzzzzzt!”

Along with faking/sleeping my way through my 3rd class, that was my day. Usually I prepare a ton for that class, then I talk too much and everyone tunes me out. But this time I just made shorter general comments and everyone was like: “Ooooh, yeah, that’s what I thought too.” Which probably translates to: “thank you for not annoying us to death.”

Later Rock & I went to some b-day type thing for Stamos. No, not John Stamos, we had already filled our quota for early 90s sitcom hunk birthdays in May. Stamos is actually Stephanie & Amos. Btw, it wasn’t both of their birthdays; it was only Amos’s. I ate cake and listened to a guy called Dan who had had so many concussions that he couldn’t remember the number. He is going to Kyrgyzstan and/or Tajikistan next year to climb mountains that have not yet been climbed because they were formerly behind the iron curtain. He’s also going to work with youth-at-risk in those countries. Presumably bringing them along on mountain climbing expeditions will put them less at risk. He’s kind of like Jake Doyle (if I can infer anything from a half-hour conversation); you know, a person who likes to raft, swim, climb, jump, or ski (etc.) off of things just to see if it can be done. I think this is a healthy ethos, and I would gladly trade some teacher-arguing skills for some of it (not that the two are mutually exclusive).

14 Comments:

Blogger Snoozie said...

Personally, i'm glad that you don't have an instaitable need to jump off of various objects just for the thrill. I'm sure your mom feels the same way. It's always good to be able to remember how many concussions you've had in your life. My number is 1, thank you to Rhett Fountain, the red-haired kid who lived up the road from me.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:02:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: insatiable hairsplitting,
you come by that honestly on your father's side, it's genetic, don't sweat it, (hey, I always knew I was a poet).
As for jumping off things, if you have any such urges, they'd come from your mother's side of the family, (your sister Kelly has inhertited such genes in spades), however, as I age, I'm more in favour of sound ankles and a more balanced approach.
love momxoxoxo

Thursday, May 25, 2006 11:55:00 p.m.  
Blogger Axel said...

Dave sometimes when your blog is the length that it is at this time, I don't read the entire thing and just comment on one sentence that I picked out.....it's not that i don't care...I'm just lazy and want to comment.

Sunday, May 28, 2006 4:39:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Lazy is good. I don't have a protestant work ethic; I protest work ethics.

Sunday, May 28, 2006 8:16:00 p.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

Axel, I thought I was the only one that did that.

No offense Dave.

Monday, May 29, 2006 8:20:00 a.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

actually, Judah, the truth is, that when you start writing things like "he agreed to disagree and I disagreed about agreeing to disagree", I get confused, maybe you should make another blog for simple minds, and title it "goo goo gaa gaa"

Monday, May 29, 2006 8:28:00 a.m.  
Blogger denielle said...

i read the whole thing. and then i pondered whether i would rather a) take a running jump off the unbc fake lighthouse tower and see if i could make the parking lot, or b)make my way up to the faculty offices and argue with my favorite prof (kevin) over the absurdly mediocre grade he gave me last semester. i'm still debating, ie. hairsplitting

Monday, May 29, 2006 4:04:00 p.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

thanks for the translation Kryce, I'm glad someone is on the same page as me..

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 8:54:00 a.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

The good news, Denielle, is that there is a grassy hill between the lighthouse and the parking lot. And if rolling down grassy hills turns out to be less fun with a broken neck, I'm sure Kevin will come rushing out to provide suitable Romantic-scholar lamentation for your pending paraplegia.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 1:58:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bubble beard is hot!

Friday, June 02, 2006 8:52:00 p.m.  
Blogger Axel said...

uh...yea

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 7:35:00 a.m.  
Blogger Axel said...

thanks mom

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 7:35:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow i din't realize you were that old . good thing i don't have bubbles in my beard or I'd be really old .
happy b day
love Dad

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:41:00 a.m.  
Blogger Samuel said...

A very pleasing birthday to you David.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 2:31:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home