Monday, July 3, 2006

‘Justify your existence, Infallible Plankton.'
‘I don’t have to; I’m infallible.’
‘Actually, you’re not really infallible. You’re only infallible in a comical, ironic sense.'
‘Oh yeah Einstein? Well then how come I’ve never been eaten by a whale?’
‘Because you’re not actually plankton either. That’s just a word in your title.’
‘Right, sure, next you’re going to tell me that Sea Monkeys aren’t really monkeys at all.’
‘They aren’t.’
‘Crap.’

This is the conversation I have with my blog every second Monday, when I remember it exists. I should have given it an essence before I gave it an existence, then it would be able to write itself. But it has no essence. Always a problem. Infallible Plankton needs direction, a raison d’être (translation: a raisin for being). Well, “need” is an overstatement. It is better to say that it would be better if it had a focus, or even foci, or even uneven foci. But it will probably always be purposeless (and porpoiseless). This is fine. Actually, it has a purpose of a kind.

When IP was born (a small squeaky sound was heard), my purpose was just to practice writing, since I had recently declared that my third (and hopefully last) attempted major would be English. And English majors are sometimes required to write, or so I was told after I sang my first essay to my teacher. So, in that sense, it is doing what it is supposed to do. Furtherbore, this is a good reason for anyone to write, no matter how crushingly nonsensical his or her writing might be. Writing is improved by practice. There is even research that supports the view that text messaging and instant messaging boon writing, despite their haphazard punctuation and bastardized spelling. Language is important (and not only because it rhymes with sandwich). So write wrong, because any writing is better than no writing.

11 Comments:

Blogger Axel said...

Dave....we blog because you blog...you've given us hope and inspiration and what's more....you've made me want to grow a beard.

Monday, July 03, 2006 6:59:00 p.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 8:20:00 a.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

1. kara, I exist, therefore I am.
2. dave, I blog cause you blogged, and I once wore flip flops in the rain cause you do, you are my Hey-Soos
3. why is it always "his or her"?
why not her or his?

excuse me while I burn my bra.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 8:21:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*I feel like starting a rumor and as I understand it in some ways tho not necessarily the best ways this is the best place well at least its someplace to start ergo and hopefully not furtherbore .
Canucks scoop Eric Daze off the ufa or is it ufo list . i guess it depends on how injured he is or will be .

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 11:09:00 a.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Well, signing Carter should be their priority. After that, I'm not sure whether they need a top 4 defenseman or someone to play w/ Naslund/Morrison.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 11:58:00 a.m.  
Blogger Axel said...

I wore purple......once

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 3:56:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

priorities are way more expensive than dazes . I bet you could get two dazes for A priority . or at least one and a blog

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 4:17:00 p.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

interest in hockey is for people who can't read

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 5:21:00 p.m.  
Blogger Rachael said...

...What the heck is going on in here?

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 5:51:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

That is a good question, Rae. Some of us are talking about hockey (although it is unclear how this is possible, given that we can't read)). This might be the source of your confusion, since many of the names (Gaborik, Daze, etc.) will be unknown to the disinterested or the highbrow literati among our commenters. Others are talking about my beard and my toes. And Axel, as usual, is commenting to the beat of his own drum (meaning, I second your "what the heck" in this case).

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 7:16:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info compaq 2100 laptop Apple refurbished laser printer cartridges Flushed meridia Moving programs to hard drive History of laptop current stationery coupon Lamborghini truck rental Pennsylvania prescription http://www.dealer-kia.info/Cellphoneaccessories.html sofa sleeper supports Flat panel lcd 10 tv international management training Creating a mosaic computer image from variable data

Thursday, February 22, 2007 7:52:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home