Wednesday, July 5, 2006

This week I am house sitting, since Rock and the family (no stone) have left for Vancouver. (By the way, Vancouver is much more polite than NYC, no matter what any stupid-ass, unscientific Reader's Digest survey says.) Actually, it’s not really house sitting; it’s more dog-cats-garden-grandpa sitting. It’s pretty fun. Mrs. McLeod maintains an apocalypse-ready pantry (a whole room, actually), so I am well fed. I have eaten an entire box of Buffalo wings, half a box of chicken nuggets, and about 12 cans of iced tea (well, those I drank). There is also a level-40 garden, just in case I feel the urge to eat healthily. I don’t actually know if it is level 40; I don’t know how gardens are graded at all, for that matter. But it seems big to me, and the number 40—being the biggest number I know—is the best way I can convey that. Actually, I have eaten some of this garden food: strawberries (less strawy than you’d expect), huckleberries (surprisingly twainy), and radishes, at least a rasher of them, if radishes come in rashers. Oh wait, that’s bacon, isn’t it? Well, they should change that. A “rasher of radishes” sounds much better. In fact, I think I'll make that my motto. Yes, I know it is not a complete sentence, but mottos are so much easier to live up to when they don't contain verbs.

Gardening is pretty fun when you don’t have to do the hard parts, like weeding, hoeing, and spraying DDT out of crop-dusters. Mostly I just run sprinklers and spray with the hose for an hour or so each day. The best part about this is spraying animals—don’t worry, they like it, probably. So far I have sprayed 2 toads, a robin, a squirrel, and a fish. It’s usually from a distance, so the water pressure is minimal. The animals mostly just hop about confusedly (story of my life). I don’t know if the fish really counts, since it was pretty wet to begin with. Oh well, who's counting? A neighbour said there was a bear in the neighbourhood yesterday. Lucky thing it didn’t come by this yard. I was ready. It would have gotten a face full of hose water. I was even prepared to yell: “That’ll learn ya! Bear!” Not that such yelling requires extensive preparation. Still …

14 Comments:

Blogger denielle said...

hey, there's a bear in my neighborhood too! and yesterday i sprayed a toad. only one toad, but it was as big as two. i was watering for eight hours straight though, so i have no excuse for only spraying one animal.
i guess you win the animal spraying game that isn't really even a game at all (because there are no rules or points).

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 7:07:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

You sprayed a toad for eight hours straight? I don't feel quite as mean anymore.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 8:06:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

If trampolining is an olympic sport, I think animal spraying can be a game. To me, the goal is to spray as many different species of animal as possible. Also, I think any that could kill you (like a bear) should be counted twice.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 8:12:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazing.....-I do believe he's becoming domesticated!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:20:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey,
I was watering stuff at my friend's ranch where I was house-sitting and trying to keep the @%#^&*$ deer out of their lucious garden, ( since when do deer listen?) and one particularily aggressive one kept chasing me back into the outhouse (seriously, it did).
I can see the headlines now..."Innocent house-sitter trapped in outhouse by maurading deer..."
and no one would ever know what happened to me....
xomom

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:26:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tree-hugging hippy-bear!....

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:36:00 p.m.  
Blogger Axel said...

twainy...oh dave you pluck my heartstrings....

Thursday, July 06, 2006 10:17:00 a.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Haha,
Good work mom. You should spray that deer. Deer are only worth 1 point, but @%#^&*$ deer are worth 2.

Thursday, July 06, 2006 1:17:00 p.m.  
Blogger Rachael said...

Reading this blog sure brightens up my day, even if half the time I have no idea what half or more of you are saying.

Friday, July 07, 2006 12:09:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

I am always in the half, or less, that makes sense.

Friday, July 07, 2006 12:31:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Commenting is so much easier than writing an actual post. In fact, I'm doing it right now.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 8:55:00 p.m.  
Blogger Axel said...

no you're not!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 2:01:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Yes I is.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 3:26:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Saturday, July 22, 2006 7:08:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home