Monday, August 28, 2006

Sundays are suited for wandering. Yesterday, doing just that, I saw what appeared to be a black plastic bag flapping in the wind. This struck me as odd, since it was a calmish day, so I crossed the street to look closer. What I found was a crow with its head and right wing wedged between the pickets of a white fence. Beak open, breathing heavily, it looked tired from the thrashing. This was just as well because it didn’t struggle much when I pulled it out. Wary of the Hitchcock-like crowd of crows gathering on the telephone line above my head, I dropped it quickly towards the grass. Surprisingly, it flew. It drifted near the ground for the first twenty feet, dripping clear liquid on the pavement, but it slowly gained altitude, and eventually found a tree at the end of the street, friends in tow. I can’t remember ever having held a live bird in my hands; it was softer than I would have expected. I probably looked like a cheesy magician, the way I released it. But, since the circumstance was not contrived, the feeling was much different.

6 Comments:

Blogger DJH said...

P.S. The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw.

Monday, August 28, 2006 3:59:00 p.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

you mean his 'Aboriginal' name...

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 1:55:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

In·di·an ( n d - n) adj.

1. Of or relating to India or the East Indies or to their peoples, languages, or cultures.

2. Of or relating to any of the Native American peoples except the Eskimos, Aleuts, and Inuits.

(http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Indian)

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 12:29:00 p.m.  
Blogger Axel said...

this was dave's american beauty moment

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:15:00 p.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

dave,

who asked you?

psh.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:57:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

I'm the PC Police Police.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 6:47:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home