Monday, December 4, 2006

In 1 hour and 19 minutes I will attend the last class of my inanely long undergraduate career. “Career” is the wrong word. Replace “career” with: “decapitated chicken pursuit expedition.” No wait, I wasn’t the pursuing chicken farmer; I was the headless chicken—and what a headless chicken I was.

A while ago my mom’s friend (Monica) asked if I would give her daughter a tour of the school when she came up on one of those introduce-high-school-students-to-university things. She did not, however, ask me to give her daughter any advice about university. I think this was because “take 6 years, change your major twice, dropout once to flip burgers, and then dropout again and move to a communist country” is bad advice.

Despite the circuitousness and nonsensicality of my trek, here I am at the … line … that … is near the finish. I suppose the important thing is not how long it takes one to learn a lesson, but rather how well that lesson is learnt. Still, 6 years? Mother F!

Oh well, at least it’s finally over—oh wait, it’s not. I still have 12-16 months in a BEd or teacher-certification program. I look forward to that more, though, because it will be more directly related to being a teacher. In English, nothing is directly related to anything. We mostly just sit around trying to think of new words that we could add “meta,” “post,” or “ism” to. To sum up everything I have learned in university: the post-cranial chicken is the meta-fowl of barnyardism. Really, it is.

17 Comments:

Blogger Didi said...

strange bird trend here ....but ...ummm...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
you did it...er...are doing it...have almost done it?
Je suis fiere...

Monday, December 04, 2006 5:44:00 p.m.  
Blogger Snoozie said...

Yay! I'm dating a graduate (almost)!!! Awesome. Meta-awesome. Post-awesomeness we should celebrate your completionism in an anti-structuralistism manner. Yay for compound words, prefixes and suffixes!

Monday, December 04, 2006 8:38:00 p.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

Congrats Dave!

ps
the Starbucks in Squamish is hiring

Monday, December 04, 2006 10:55:00 p.m.  
Blogger Cory Wiegersma said...

Is it a bad thing if I was hoping you'd just use the word "metapostism" rather than connecting them in some other way?

Congratulations on the end of your undergraduate career!

Monday, December 04, 2006 11:18:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

I thought about metapostism, but I have chicken reference quotas to meet.

Monday, December 04, 2006 11:36:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget you can wear your earned UNBC metapostism hoodie proudly . As will I wear mine with fatherly pride even tho its a little different in fact i may have to wwear something other than my old Sir George sweatshirt which I believe has gone the way of the Dodo bird (keeping to your bird theme )

Dad

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 1:13:00 p.m.  
Blogger Didi said...

what is that? and what happened to the headless chicken? call your mom eh?

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 8:13:00 a.m.  
Blogger Snoozie said...

That's my dog, lying in our driveway, doing his best impression of a bean.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 10:09:00 a.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Kryce,
Congratulations on poo.

Dad,
Yes, I will wear my UNBC hoodie w/ pride; that's why I got it in a rainbow pattern.

Mom,
You are eh. I changed the pic bec the last one was creepy.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 11:39:00 a.m.  
Blogger Didi said...

and you shaved off your bubble beard only to replace it with a cat?
eh?

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 10:04:00 p.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

increase your bran intake, and you won't have to work as hard

Thursday, December 07, 2006 11:39:00 a.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

your new profile photo offends me as a cat-hater/assassin

please change it

or else the kitty gets it

(and yes Kryce, 'assassin' has two asses, and both make poo)

thanks.

Friday, December 08, 2006 8:56:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

The kitty won't get it. She could take you. Mischa is surly.

Friday, December 08, 2006 9:01:00 p.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

i'll do to kitty what the OC did to Mischa

Sunday, December 10, 2006 7:20:00 a.m.  
Blogger Amy said...

i always found university english classes to be a good time to catch up on my reading. oh and my doodling.

and as an english major dropout extraordinaire, i give you mad props on your completion.

oh and as the daughter of a teacher, have fun with your future fat paychecks (freal!) and zillion hours spent on planning and marking!

Sunday, December 10, 2006 7:22:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Dash,
I think you mean what Mischa did to the OC.

Monday, December 11, 2006 12:03:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Thx Amy,
Wait, teachers get payed in fat? Oh, good, I need some of that.

Monday, December 11, 2006 12:04:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home