Friday, March 16, 2007

Hi, my workweek just ended. Well, not really, because we have training tomorrow at some headquarters place. Anyway, this is the first minute I've had free to post in the last few days. Actually, I wrote a post (below) on paper at my apartment, but I haven't had a chance to type it in here. Anyway, I'm heading out soon with my coworkers and some random people they know. Hopefully I can get a calling card ... and chicken. Also, we might go see 300. I love movies about math.

_________

I am often overanxious at the beginnings of things. That's when there are the most variables floating around and when there are more imaginable dooms. I usually get over it pretty quickly though, and then I mock my younger (by one week) self for his weenieness. So it has been with this latest experience.

The job will actually be pretty easy, I think, once I get the hang of it. I only have 8 kids in my class, and 7 of them are not the antiChrist. Actually, 7 are really good and cute and nice and smart. The job is theoretically only 35 hours a week (althought it was 45ish this week), so, that's pretty good for CDN 2690 per month plus accomodation. By the way, one of the other teachers flaked out, so if anyone wants to come and join me, you're welcome. All you need is a BA and a love of confusion.

Funny story: On Wednesday I had cooking class, and the project involved cutting up various vegetables and arranging them in flower/plant patterns. Unbeknownst to me, one of the vegetables was a fairly hot green pepper. Of course, the kids promptly rubbed this pepper all over their faces and in their eyes, which turned their skin bright pink. Then, after a confused delay while they tried to figure out the source of their discomfort, they cried. And then they cried some more. And that was the end of cooking class. Actually, some of the kids were fine, but they just had to join in because, hey, free crying! It was very cute.

My two remaining coworkers are decidedly cool. (A third is supposed to arrive next week, so strike the above offer.) One guy reminds me a bit of Jason, which is all you need to know about him. Also, he's from Victoria. The other guy, Matt from Seattle, reminds me a lot of Chuck (hi Chuck). He's Seattle Chuck, or Yankee Chuck, or something. He reminds me of Chuck because he speaks slowly and deliberately in a deep voice, he's really tall, and he makes a lot of obscure pop culture references.

Anyway, I have to run (away! run away!) now ... I might polish this post up a bit tomorrow--hey wait a minute, that's not what people do with blogs. Make that: I will foist my stream of consciousness on you! Spellchecker be damned!

9 Comments:

Blogger Samuel said...

I find it rather curious that you are allowed to actually write a blog on paper before putting it on an online blog. Is that leagal... in korea?

Friday, March 16, 2007 5:07:00 a.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Haha, good point. I am surprised there is paper here at all.

They have lots of cool technological things that Canada doesn't have, liked a stacking car parking machine (I'll get a video someday).

Friday, March 16, 2007 5:43:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

paper? what the beef is that?

also, why would kids rub pepper all over their faces?

i have kids...they NEVER rub pepper on their faces.

did you force them into it Dave?
did you promise them puppies and ice cream if they took part in your real job (pepper tester)?

just curious.

Friday, March 16, 2007 6:02:00 a.m.  
Blogger Andrew Kurjata said...

"There are only eights kids in my class, and seven of them are not the AntiChrist."

Now, maybe my math is wrong, but are you actually planning on teaching the AntiChrist English? Shouldn't you maybe, like, be throwing holy water at him or something?

Mmmm.... hot peppers.

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:10:00 a.m.  
Blogger Chuck said...

Hi Dave!
Is there a way to teach there without a BA?
The only way a Chuck can get any better is if there were two of him.

Friday, March 16, 2007 1:06:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Yes, Chuck, there is. It is called teaching illegally. I'm not sure how many people do this (technically, I am doing it right now, because my paperwork is still pending), but it must be a fair number. There are risks involved, and I wouldn't commit myself to how great or small those might be without talking to some people/thinking about it. But, I guess I would say that if you are adventurous, it is a feasible thing.

Friday, March 16, 2007 5:49:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm too lazy to sign in, but it must be said: your life is so cool! ahhhhhhhhhh! i wish i could work with cute kids all day (and the antichrist. he must be interesting. watch out for inverted crosses!)

in other news: just when it looked like it was about to become spring, snow fell. prince george sucks.

~petra.

Friday, March 16, 2007 9:17:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

everything i teach is illegal.

Friday, March 16, 2007 11:07:00 p.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

I had written on my resume that I had an overseas teaching certificate (which I do have), but I wasn't asked to present it to anyone at the camp. From what I've heard, Japan and Korea are most stickler. In Taiwan, China or Veitnam, you can get away with it.

But you should totally go for it,and if you get busted, a hot human rights lawyer will come save you while you sing about your push up bra in prison, like bridgette.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 10:55:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home