Saturday, April 7, 2007

Kindergarten, my dear Watson

Here it is: photographic proof that I'm in Asia. Heed and defer to my explanatory syllogism!

1. The child with me in the photo is Asian.
2. Asian children are found only in Asia.
3. Therefore, I am in Asia.

It occurred to me (after I was told so) that I haven't talked much about the details of my job. So, I will. I work at the Boramae branch of Kid's College, which is a franchise chain of English-immersion kindergarten schools. There are about 24 franchises, I think. Most are in Seoul. We also teach extra-curricular English classes for elementary-age students. The Boramae branch just opened on March 1st (which is when the school year begins in Korea). A British couple, who comprised half of the 4-teacher staff (not including the large non-teaching staff), abruptly left for places unknown. Also, a guy from California flaked out and left (this happened after I arrived), so the school was pretty desperate to secure a reliable replacement. This is why I was able to sign a 4-month contract instead of the standard 1-year contract. This is also why the span between the time I first heard about the job and my arrival in Korea was about 2 days.

The school is magnetized to a cluster of high rises (not literally, but it was built nearby to tap the market contained in said buildings). These are very large and expensive buildings. From what I gather, the rent is comparable to downtown Vancouver. Hence, the students at our school are relatively well off. There are about 50 students, but no more than 20 or so are ever there at once.

I teach Monday to Friday. From 9:30 (nice, I know) to 2:20 I teach 5 forty-minute classes to the 8 kindergarten-age kids in my class. From 2:30-6:20 we teach classes to elementary-age children (roughly grades 1-4) who have finished their days at their regular Korean schools. These classes are staggered, though, so I don't teach the full 4 hours. It varies by day, but the average is about 2 hours. So, theoretically I only teach about 35 hours a week, but I'm usually at school for 45 hours per week with all the preparatory work. I like it. The pay is good. I feel like a real teacher because I have the same 8 kids for most of the time. This is different than in China, where I was more like a guest English coach in a Chinese teacher's class.

I teach 14 subjects to the kinder kids, for example: Language Arts, Arts & Crafts, Theme Activity, Sharing Time, Character Education, Gym, Library, etc. The class maximum is 12 kids, but since the school is still new, my class of 8 is actually the largest class. I'm kind of proud of this, for some reason. It's also the neatest class, since I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive about having it organized. Also, our wall art kicks the most ass.

Kids get very excited, especially when a happyface token is at stake. I have devised a happyface chart that ... charts the number of happyfaces each student receives (for good behaviour or good work). At the end of the week the top 3 students get candy. This bribery is remarkably motivating. Mind you, kids also get really excited about things like pink scissors: "Teacher, me pink scissors!" (There are 2 pink pairs and 6 blue pairs). Also, they become angelically quiet and they stare at me with hypnotizing sincerity when the daily helper badges are being assigned. (Please let him pick meeeeeeeeeeee, If I concentrate hard enough I can will him to put the snack helper badge by my name.) There is a paper helper, a line leader and a snack helper. I've been thinking of making a team leader badge. It would have to be more ornate than the others, which would make it more coveted, but, of course, the person who won it for the day wouldn't be required to do anything; it would be an honorary title. I could also have assistant to the regional manager. Yes, I can see it now.

So, yeah, the above is a clump of details about what I've been doing here. Consider yourself informed.

16 Comments:

Blogger elkly said...

divad- I can't decide whether you are a sophist, or just stating a false premise. Does intentionally stating a false premise automatically make you a sophist? I hope that question won't be on my logic final next week- or my Pre-Socratics final...

Saturday, April 07, 2007 8:53:00 a.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Intentionally stating a false premise (#2) does not make one a sophist when it is done for the sake of humour.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 10:37:00 a.m.  
Blogger Rachael said...

How do we know you're not just in Vancouver? There're almost as many Asian children there as in Asia.

Answer me that, mon cousin!

Saturday, April 07, 2007 1:33:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Yeah, that's the joke.

Sunday, April 08, 2007 3:18:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know that this is a little off the topic but...
this is the cbc hockey pool dave

http://hockeypool.cbc.ca/Games/GameDetails.aspx?dContestID=9

Sunday, April 08, 2007 8:44:00 a.m.  
Blogger Snoozie said...

Those kids sound so cute. Pink scissors! haha. I remember those days. I love that you're so great at what you do, what with the charts and badges and whatnot. The picture makes me miss you more :(

Sunday, April 08, 2007 9:28:00 a.m.  
Blogger Rachael said...

....


d'oh and double d'oh

I am, as usual, one step behind the rest of the group.

But at least I have a pair of pink scissors...

Sunday, April 08, 2007 4:24:00 p.m.  
Blogger Leah said...

cute little munchkins:)you included Dave. You are a top rate teacher mate!i'm sure they love you to bits.

Monday, April 09, 2007 10:34:00 a.m.  
Blogger Didi said...

You're quite the proffessional abecedarian now...and I guess all those charts and chores & motivational systems I used on you paid off! (remember the T.V. tokens?)

Monday, April 09, 2007 7:21:00 p.m.  
Blogger Didi said...

ps: Happy Easter!

Monday, April 09, 2007 7:22:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Don't worry Rachael, it's the internet's fault. It is the destroyer of inflection and nuance in language!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 3:15:00 a.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

is it the heat in New delhi, or did you get cuter?

and an 'awwwww' at the photo goes x2 from amy

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 3:55:00 a.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Not only cuter, but also smaller, more asian, and a totally different person.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:00:00 a.m.  
Blogger Petra said...

Does your syllogism mean that I'm half in Asia all the time? Because, if so, then it would explain why I'm usually of two minds (much like blackbirds in trees. I like Wallace Stevens). That being said, ohwow, those kids are ADORABLE! and CUTE!

And it seems like you are Super Teacher. Super Teachers are much like Super Heroes. Only better, because they usually give out yummy things. (Which, if your account can be trusted, you do. Which earns you extra brownie points. You'd get extra extra brownie points if your yummy things were brownies.)

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:07:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The school is magnetized to a cluster of high rises "
could they really do this to buildings? i'd move my house to a new city every couple o'years. just stick it onto the side of someone's apartment, go in and out through their windows.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 2:32:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have made a discovery!
1. Yes that child photographed with you IS Asian
2.Asian children ARE often found in Asia.
3.That Asian child is wearing a fashionable shirt. In books and cartoons, Asian children wear giant robes and funny hats.
4.Therefore you are NOT in Asia, but rather a GapKids.
Take that chump!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 4:26:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home