Friday, April 13, 2007


I bought a green plant today for 5,500 Won. I can tell we're going to be good friends, until it dies in three weeks. I'm going to Fukuoka, Japan for two days next week. This has nothing to do with obtaining a working visa, because that would imply that I don't have one presently, which would be illegal. I've been told it's balmy. Is balminess photographable? No, it's just an abstract concept, and our camera doesn't have a setting for those.

Kurt Vonnegut died on April 11th. This is a sad thing. Perhaps no sadder than any other distant and unknown death, but sad nonetheless. He inhabits a rare writing niche: his novels are both substantial and accessible. Finding that balance is something extremely difficult to do and one of the biggest obstacles for any artist. It's not particularly hard to make something obtuse which stakes its value on its very obscurity. Nor it is overly difficult to create something that panders to the "lowest common denominator." And there isn't anything wrong with either of those things, but credit should be given when the elusive middle ground is found. There are no such things as books that everyone should read, but if there were, Slaughterhouse 5 would be one of them.

On Easter Sunday I went to Yeuido island, an island in the Han river, which runs through Seoul. The aim of my trip was Yoido Full Gospel Church, which by some measurements has the largest membership of any church in the world. Yeouido island is only about 8 square kilometres--not so big, I thought. The church has services pretty much all day, so I decided to just walk around the island until I found it. I like doing things that way, when I have time. It was a nice little (2 hour) walk. I walked clockwise around the outside of the island, because I had a (correct, it turned out) idea that the church would be on the outside. (The middle is a lot of businesslike high rises and TV studios.) Little did I know, if I had walked counterclockwise I would have found the church in about 5 minutes. But, owing to my fear of spontaneous time travel, I don't trust counterclockwise. Anyway, I finally spotted it in the distance at about 2:55, just in time for the 3 o'clock service.

It wasn't as weird as I thought it would be. It didn't seem that big, maybe because it was only half full. There were two bands and a 50-person choir. There was also a group of about ten people singing up on stage. They seemed like aspiring K-pop stars--but who isn't, really? What I really liked, though, was the dance team. It was nine young women (don't get the wrong idea; they were conservatively dressed). They were kind of like a mix between Dance Dance Revolution, the "hand dancing" team from Napoleon Dynamite, cheer leading, and traditional Asian dancing of some kind. I can't really explain it better than that, but they really kicked ass. They had elaborate, lengthy, high-energy routines for each song, and they never lost their synchronization. (Korean people can synchronize dance your face off.) One young woman, in particular, impressed me. She was more of a blur, since she was so far away (I was in the balcony), but somehow she exuded an unmistakable positivity. I can't really explain it, but her dancing communicated a profound contentment and thankfulness for life. I really appreciated that.

So, it was a worthwhile experience despite the fact that no one talked to me, I couldn't understand the sermon and the songs were unfamiliar. Actually, one song was sung to the tune of "Because He Lives." So I just substituted the English chorus, which, surprisingly, was stored in my memory. So, I was singing the same song as the other thousand people, but with my own words. Although, as solipsists would have it, that's all anyone ever does. So it goes.

12 Comments:

Blogger boots day said...

I'm jealous again but I'll match your Korean chorus with an Israeli one that I sang english words to and raise you with the printed version of the israeli words which I still didn't understand tho you probably had an overhead too . I've read about Yongi Cho ( no clue how to spell his name ) and read some of his writings before you were born .Who woulda thought my son would get to go to his church ? cool

Friday, April 13, 2007 9:15:00 a.m.  
Blogger Snoozie said...

It's very sad about Vonnegut. I wonder if Johnny Depp will shoot him out of a canon too.

Wikipedia says that the church you went to has been criticized for being cult-like. So, it's probably good you didn't understand it, and that no one came up to you and offered you Kool-aid.

Friday, April 13, 2007 10:37:00 a.m.  
Blogger denielle said...

so it goes . . .
oh, how fitting

Friday, April 13, 2007 1:15:00 p.m.  
Blogger Didi said...

Hey Rox, did you just watch that documentary on the People's Temple too? (shudder)
Nonetheless, 'going to church' in a new setting can always be enlightening...

Friday, April 13, 2007 10:06:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Rock, anyone can criticize anything for being cult-like, on Wikipedia. In any case, the level of my involvement was such that its cultishness didn't matter. I take your point, though, of course.

Saturday, April 14, 2007 12:40:00 a.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Denielle,
Yes, I realized it was an obvious thing to write, but at least I left it 'til the end, so it's not like I was beating everyone over the head with it. :)

Saturday, April 14, 2007 12:41:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the first fascination street was cult like.
just ask d smith

Saturday, April 14, 2007 7:33:00 a.m.  
Blogger denielle said...

it was a perfect thing to write! i loved it.

Saturday, April 14, 2007 9:36:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

solipsist, solipsist, solipsist, solipsist. it's a super silly fun word to say!

Saturday, April 14, 2007 11:19:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ditto on the kurt vonnegut, jr. i prefered "breakfast of Champions".i am a sucker for crappily hand-drawn illustrations i guess. and we are all robots. just ask meep zorp.

Saturday, April 14, 2007 12:08:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

altho' i am not sad he died. so, "not ditto" on that point. everybody has to die. and, if you are christian doesn't that actually bring you closer to god or jesus? and, what more could he write about. he was probably tired.

Saturday, April 14, 2007 12:12:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Well, an event can be happy and sad at the same time. Can't it? Like when you find a warm new chicken egg, but it has chicken poo all over it.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 1:36:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home