Friday, June 1, 2007

A tiny conspiracy


I have a small request: please destroy the Canadian economy. Stupid inflated Canadian dollar. When I arrived in Korea the CDN to KRW ratio was 1:807. Now it is 1:870. That's translates to me making $193 less per month--effing b-crap! I thought this also had to do with the trade agreement that Korea signed with the US, but the KRW has improved against the USD, so, pfft. Actually, I'm as unbothered by this probable loss of $772 as any person of Scottish descent could be. I'll probably be back in Canada in a month, and my experience so far has born out my decision to come here.

On Sunday I'm going to visit the palace pictured above: Gyeongbokgung. I'm going with some random university students that I met at an English club/cafe/bar. I didn't really want to go there, but my coworker said it would be free (see above comment re. Scottishness). It was, but only for her--bah! Anyway, aside from finding palace exploring pals, the night was not a total bust because of an unusual exchange I had with one guy. He was Korean; he spoke English fairly well, and he was really big, like muscular. Anyway, I think he had had a bit too much soju because he was acting really silly when he came up to me. He had a plastic gun and he said: "This is an RG. That stands for real gun. I'm a real gangsta." At this point he started doing some elaborate and silly muscle flexing poses. Then he flashed some imitation gang signs and said: "I'm a Blood. I'm a Crip. Don't I look like a real gangsta?" Now, I know that according to the amicable collusion of the inebriated I was supposed to say yes. But I was sober, so I said: "No, no you don't." He was crestfallen. A 6'3 sad puppy. I laughed internally and didn't feel bad. This is the year of good luck and not feeling bad for no reason. Take that and party, Robbie Williams.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"effin B-Crap" is the best phrase.
you owe me a nickel for copyright stuff.

Friday, June 01, 2007 5:28:00 p.m.  
Blogger Snoozie said...

Didn't you read the post? Dave can't afford your outrageous copyright fees. Sheesh.

Friday, June 01, 2007 9:23:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one nickel

Saturday, June 02, 2007 3:48:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my parents were naming me, Gyeongbokgung was one of their choices. Needless to say it lost out to Dashmeshpreet...or wait, is it Dashmashpreet...ah, I can never remember.

Oh, wait..this blog is about Dave, um,..hi, dave....*awkward silence*.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 3:31:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! dave! happy belated birthday! u and rox gotta visit clan pettmunch so we can celebrate properly:)

Friday, June 08, 2007 12:56:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Thanks Mik. We'll try to. When is your 10th wedding anniversary again?

Saturday, June 09, 2007 10:54:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's aug.30...but we've scrapped dance plans 'til next year. so, instead it's just an open invitation to you anytime you are in our vicinity (which hopefully is often!). I hope to have our deck finished by july then we could have a party on july 7th. (07-07-07) so i am floating that idea now. when r u back?

Monday, June 11, 2007 11:08:00 a.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

I might be back for a day or 2 on July 1/2nd. And I might be back for a day or 2 or 3 in the last week of August.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:26:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home