Thursday, August 2, 2007

Fian--say what?!



It's officially official, Rock and I are engaged. We will be married in Prince George on 26 July 2008. That's the last Saturday in July. If I understand how name exchanges work, I will soon be Mr. Rock, and my future students will assume I am an ex-Navy Seal.

We were engaged last Saturday, our 2nd dating anniversary. Dann, Tanya, Mike and Tae were camping out near Canim lake, so we went out to visit them in the afternoon. Then we went a bit further out to Canim/Mahood Falls. Rock is the sharpest tool in the toolbox, so I had to use all of my CSIS training to keep the subterfuge under wraps. Unfortunately there were no laptops to be lost, so I "pretended" I couldn't find the falls for about 45 minutes. When we arrived, the waterfalls were quite wonderfully sublime and fairly big. In fact, if you've never seen any larger water falls, they'd be the largest waterfalls you've ever see. Plus, they're rated at 9.1 on the International Proposal Appropriateness Scale.

Rock wouldn't let me get closer than 15 feet to the edge (probably an ominous sign of her not letting me imperil my life in the future), but it was still a pretty neat place to be. I'm ecstatic about being engaged to Roxanne, because I love her. I'm even getting used to the word fiancée. I didn't really think it would be strange, so I'm not really surprised that it all feels so normal. It's better than normal though: it's like an M&Ms Blizzard that makes you smarter, defeats world poverty and solves global warming.

Here are 4 more pictures

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Snoozie said...

Dave, you did not keep the "keep the subterfuge under wraps"... i knew you were going to propose to me for 2 weeks! And i knew it would be then, at the falls, that's why i was all "No, let's keep looking, we'll find them", even though you were helplessly lost.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 11:43:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Does this mean I'm out of CSIS?

Friday, August 03, 2007 6:51:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i notice you didn't mention us...

oh wait, wrong Blog.

Way to go Dave.
Love is a many splendored thing.
it's much like cinnamon toast.

Friday, August 03, 2007 10:11:00 a.m.  
Blogger Axel said...

see the thing about weddings is...you need a ring bearer...and i'm still under 20, so...y'now....

Saturday, August 04, 2007 12:28:00 a.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

We also have a spot open for a Bear Ringer. Applicants are advised to start growing their hair sweaters immediately.

Saturday, August 04, 2007 9:33:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! xoxo

ps are you gunna score a sweet dowry?

Sunday, August 05, 2007 6:42:00 p.m.  
Blogger Snoozie said...

Dave's dowry will be a stash of Kraft dinner and coffee.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 8:32:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmm a stash of Kraft dinner

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 9:13:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that a penis garden would be the ULTIMATE dowry...

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 3:37:00 p.m.  
Blogger Snoozie said...

I'm set then!

Thursday, August 09, 2007 10:20:00 a.m.  
Blogger Petra said...

ohwow! congratulations! you totally win at finding Places of Romance to propose at; tho i see you fail at keeping proposing-intentions under wraps. methinks your fiancee is canny to your ways.

and, if she's reading this, congratulations roxanne! tho we've only met in person once, i am heartily ecstatic for you!

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:26:00 a.m.  
Blogger Snoozie said...

Thanks Petra! Also, unlike certain other people, I don't think you're moot.

Friday, August 10, 2007 1:27:00 p.m.  
Blogger Petra said...

Hee, awesome! My ego thanks you. While we're conversing, I thoroughly adore your health blog (I found it via various links) - do you mind if I link to it off of my blog?

Saturday, August 11, 2007 1:06:00 p.m.  
Blogger Snoozie said...

Of course not!! Hey, are you still at UNBC this fall? Are you in Lisa Dickson's Renaissance lit 381 by any chance? Or did you already take that one, possibly with Dave?

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:40:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David congratulations on the engagement and starting at UBC O. Wishing you all the best.

In case you haven't heard - Peter's gone to Saskatoon. He checks in on your blog from time to time as do I.

Deb

Monday, August 13, 2007 10:12:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Petra and I did take that one together, I think. But it was a morning class so she never came, or I never came, or something.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:56:00 p.m.  
Blogger Petra said...

It was a pretty awesome class, I've gotta say. I took it my first year at UNBC, and while I was somewhat terrified by Dr. Dickson's marking policies, it definitely made me want to major in English. Total brain expansion. And I did take it with Dave - who sat at the back of class and occasionally made intelligent comments. He probably thinks I never showed up because I did my best to disappear in the corner. Ah, fond memories.

Ooh! If you're taking it, Roxanne, I definitely want to hear what you think of it! There are human pies! And dismemberment! And phrases like 'Their worse than killing lust'! And that's just in the first play! (Also, if you have the chance, you might like Dickson's ENGL 491, which is alternatively the Faerie Queene and Hamlet. I did Hamlet, and wow, it was a trip.)

Friday, August 17, 2007 4:31:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home