Monday, July 21, 2008

I Will Flout Your Convention with Ice Cream Cake


Do you read this blog? Yes, you do. You're reading it now. Plus, I know you do because I have cameras in your home. Fancy spy cameras. You know who's funny? Sean Cullen. He makes my love-hate relationship with the CBC into more of a love-love-hate relationship. Actually, it's more of a love-love-make-fun-of-the-excessive-importance-it-places-on-organic-composting relationship. Speaking of which, I'm marrying Roxanne this weekend.

Roxanne will also be marrying me, simultaneously. We're just that coordinated. It's kind of like the birth of twins, except one doesn't come out before the other because the evil twin has latched onto the good twin, probably with grappling hooks, Fisher Price brand prenatal grappling hooks. Yes, that's it.

People keep asking me: "So, are you nervous/stressed out about the wedding." To which I reply, "I'm sorry, do I know you?" Usually this is followed by: "Yes, I'm in the bridal party" or "Yes, I gave birth to you." Yeah, sure, the DNA investigation was inconclusive. By the way, everyone at the wedding will be fingerprinted. We have solar-powered lawn gnomes that we don't want to go missing. Wait, that last sentence is only half true, the first half.

Actually, I'm not nervous or stressed. How hard can it be to pick up 114 Happy Meals and drive down to city hall? I give it 20 minutes, tops. The ceremony, not the marriage, that is. In a way the marriage has already lasted almost 3 years. I mean, this isn't really a big step for us. It's more of a legally binding/public declaration step. We've already agreed we'd spend our lives together, which, to my mind, is a moral contract, and that's more important than a legal contract. The latter is an extension of the former, not vice versa. So, the wedding really ends up being more of an excuse to get together all of your family and friends, except for Sarah Waters who is going to the Pemberton Festival. I know, everyone has priorities, but it's not our fault that Jay-Z refused to be our flower girl. He said: "I've got 99 problems, but the graceful and equidistant dispersion of flower petals ain't one."

For the people who do come, though, it will be fine. My theory is that if sufficient alcohol is provided, no one will remember the other details, like how Stephen Hawking beat me in a dance-off or how I accidentally peed on your chair. Actually, it will be more than fine. There will be many people whom I haven't seen in a long time. I might even talk to some of them. In fact, I think I promised Roxanne I would. This happened after she pointed out that although a slack-jawed blank stare is a hilarious response to any question or greeting, it's only hilarious to me, and not to the person who is trying to talk to me. In all seriousness, though, it will be an transcendentally enjoyable affair, even though Roxanne wouldn't let me get a cake with the Saudi Arabian flag on it.

23 Comments:

Blogger Snoozie said...

If you really, REALLY wanted the Saudi flag on one of the cakes, you should have specified that you were not joking. Especially when I asked, "Why do you want it?" and you said "It's cool. It has a sword on it", and then proceeded to suggest we get a cake with the Thai flag on it instead. When you fail to communicate your wants, you aren't allowed to complain when you don't get the thing you wanted. Dems the rules.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:27:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

*Update: We are going to have an ice cream cake with the Saudi Arabian flag after all.

The reasoning with which I convinced Roxanne was that it's better to do something badly (nonsensically) than to do something the way it has been done a million times already.

Also, Saudi Arabia has a pretty kick-ass flag, ominous religious messages notwithstanding.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:02:00 p.m.  
Blogger Didi said...

Happy meals eh?
I guess kraft dinner and hot dogs will be fine for the rehearsal dinner then...

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:35:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

does sean cullen still have his show on cbc radio? that was a show that'd make me laugh out loud.
i currently see him on 'last comic standing' where he also makes with the hilarity, but looking at him makes me want to barf. barf!
another show that makes me laugh so hard i throw up a little in my mouth is 'wipeout'.
it's great you want to break with tradition, get an ice cream cake, and get crazy slogans printed on it; but, why do we have to suffer?
remember how this wedding is all about your guests...helllooo?
in seriousness tho:the booze is a good idea.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:44:00 a.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

Yes, "Simply Sean" is on at ... 10:30 Saturday mornings, I think. I only recently found out that he is on LCS. I hope he wins, even if he does make you BOL (barf out loud).
If your other source of suffering is a dislike of ice cream cakes, fear not: there will also be carrot cakes. Those are like cakes ... made out of carrots.

P.S. Kryce will be happy to know we got Stella Artois, just for him.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:36:00 p.m.  
Blogger DJH said...

P.P.S. Kryce might also be happy to know that Bedouin Soundclash will be our pre-processional song. Yeah!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:37:00 p.m.  
Blogger Snoozie said...

Yeah, there should be plenty of alcohol, unless everyone wants to get blitzed. Dave and my dad got lots of great beers that I want to try, like a Granville Island one, Rickard's White, and a Sleeman's Clear. Clear beer? What is that? Water?

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:52:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what if beer makes you puke, like before you get "blitzed" on it?

Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:13:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

everyone else will be living it up, copulating in the gazebo, and mikara and i will be working our proverbial balls off.

stella is the least you could do.

Gazebo.
gaze-bo.

ha.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:17:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but, we do it because we love

Friday, July 25, 2008 3:23:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and we're too cheap to buy a "real" gift

Friday, July 25, 2008 3:23:00 p.m.  
Blogger Snoozie said...

Your tune-age was WAAAY better than a toaster. Plus you gave us kick-ass art! What could be better? Nothing. That's what.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:17:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is me miny david! (david's younger cousin) I have finally come to the blog! you all thought I would'nt but I DID! muhhahahahah!!!

Saturday, August 09, 2008 8:21:00 p.m.  
Blogger Snoozie said...

Davey!
Welcome to blogland. I'm sure you'll enjoy the craziness.

Monday, August 11, 2008 10:46:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah i like craziness .. and randomness ... and bunnies but thats besidethe point(or possibly behind the point)

Sunday, August 24, 2008 9:40:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

regardless the point is
supercalafragilisticexpiealadotious
yeah thats right it's a real word (i think) if any of you know your disney classics then you will know its from mary poppins

.......
bunnies are REALLY cute
.....
and soft
:)

Sunday, August 24, 2008 9:45:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey new-chuck, 'sup?

Saturday, August 30, 2008 11:07:00 a.m.  
Blogger david who likes choclate said...

Why the sky of course, its common knowledge, very common knowledge.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 12:39:00 p.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

I'm pretty sure that you should post something sometime in the near-ish future...

Sunday, October 05, 2008 9:34:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stop with the video games already.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:49:00 a.m.  
Blogger Floozie said...

I still believe in your blog.

Monday, March 30, 2009 10:55:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bah, fooled me with your commenting!

Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:50:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

remember all those things that happened the past?
the past is where ALL my memories lie.

Thursday, March 04, 2010 6:20:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home